Those who have not linked their Aadhaar (Unique Identification) number to Permanent Account Number (PAN) must be apprised of the fact that it must be done on or before June 30, 2023 after the earlier deadline was extended.
The deadline to link the two key documents was March 31, 2023 earlier.
However, upon a series of representations made by a slew of stakeholders, the tax department extended the deadline by another three months until June 30, 2023.
In case of missing the deadline, taxpayers run the risk of rendering the unlinked PAN inoperative.
This effectively means the two documents (UID and PAN) must now be linked on or before June 30 to prevent PAN from becoming inoperative.
Here is the step-by-step process to link the two documents:
First and foremost, to be able to link the two documents, one must have an Aadhaar number, PAN number and a valid mobile number.
1. One has to first visit the income tax (I-T) department website, and check the quick link on the side panel that says ‘Link Aadhaar’.
2. As you visit the link, you are asked to enter both the numbers: PAN and Aadhaar, and in case the documents are already linked, it will flag it.
3. Alternatively, you will have to submit the request for the same here. You need to make a payment of ₹1,000 in a single challan under minor head 500 on Protean (NSDL) portal.
This is how the payment ought to be made:
A. To make the payment through net banking, debit card, over the counter, NEFT/RTGS and payment gateway, one has to enter the PAN details and mobile number.
B. Upon entering these details, you would be taken to Protean (NSDL) portal. Here you have to click ‘Proceed’ under challan number/ ITNS 280.
C. Then select tax applicable as 0021 and type of payment as 500.
D. Then you can enter the assessment year and other details before clicking ‘Proceed’.
E. Later, one can submit the Aadhaar-PAN link request on e-filing portal either immediately if payment is made through e-pay tax service or after 4-5 working days of making of payment if payment is done on Protean (NSDL).
4. Once the payment is made, you can submit the request for linking the two documents on e-filing portal after 4-5 working days from the date of fee payment.
5. It is important to note that if you are unable to submit the request, you should check whether the payment has been made in minor head code 500.
6. If not, then you can send a request for challan correction. And if you have already submitted under the right code, then you can lodge grievance or contact Helpdesk.