The word ‘stock market’ may not be well known to young people when it comes to finance. Share market is not a pleasant phrase, either when it comes to the language being used or the procedure of buying and selling stocks. However, it is only sage to consider savings and investments as soon as feasible.
A superior position to easily achieve all of their financial goals will be available to investors who begin investing in their 20s since they will have more time to develop their money. But for novice investors, selecting and making investments may be a difficult undertaking, especially given the numerous investment alternatives and techniques to pick from.
When to Invest?
The early years of one's working life are the optimum times to start saving because you aren't under any significant financial obligation or burden. The earlier a young investor starts saving, the more likely it is that they will be able to accumulate savings over time. Younger investors who have more money are able to add profitable stocks to their investment portfolio and make larger share market bets. Even if you start off little, doing it from a young age might have positive results for you.
READ MORE: Should new investors park their earnings in passive index funds to create wealth?
Where to Invest?
Idealistically, young investors should devote a bigger share of their investable surplus to the asset class of equities. If they want to achieve capital growth or wealth building, they should have an investing time horizon of at least three years.
When investing in equities, a general rule of thumb to remember is 100 minus your present age. Therefore, if you are now 30 years old, 70 percent (100 - 30 years) of your overall investment portfolio should be held in equity, with the remaining 30 percent held in debt or money market instruments, gold, and gold-backed securities.
When investing in equities, there will undoubtedly be many ups and downs. However, compared to older investors like those in their 50s, investors in their 20s are better able to withstand these sporadic shocks.
However, young investors shouldn't jeopardize their funds by making bets on things they don't properly understand. Therefore, it could be a good idea to avoid investments like cryptocurrency, futures, options, and even stocks, unless one is aware of the major risks associated with doing so.
In the end, it is preferable to take measured risks as opposed to investing irrationally, even though the 20s may be the optimum time to take a little additional risk for a chance to achieve large profits.
READ MORE: New to investing? Here's why you should start with an index fund
How to Invest?
Automating your investing is the greatest plan if you're wondering how to save and invest money each month. One of the primary advantages of automating investing is that it streamlines the procedure. Starting a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) in a Mutual Fund is the best option to automate investing.
SIP enables investors to buy units of a mutual fund on a certain day each month for a predetermined amount of money. For as little as Rs. 500, one can begin a monthly SIP and begin building wealth. Young investors can build up a sizable corpus over time with the assistance of even a little monthly SIP.
The optimum time to establish sound personal finance habits is in your 20s. By putting certain basic methods into practice, people may benefit from the positive impacts on their money not just in their twenties but also as they advance in their investing careers.