As the last date to link PAN (Permanent Account Number) to your aadhaar is set to expire on June 30, 2023, it is imperative to link the two documents at the earliest. The last date to link the two documents was March 31, but it was later extended by another three months i.e., until June 30, 2023.
Failing to link the two documents will render your PAN inoperative. Here we explain how you can link them.
Follow these steps to link the two:
1. Open the income tax portal.
2. Go to the left-hand panel ‘Quick Links’. You can find ‘Link aadhaar’ here.
3. As you open, you will realise that you need to follow a three-step process.
4. At the outset, you need to enter PAN and aadhaar details.
5. Upon entering these details. it will tell whether the PAN is already linked or not.
6. Else, it will take you to the next step i.e., verification.
7. Here you need to verify whether the exact details match on both the documents.
8. If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “link now” button.
9. A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN.
How to make the payment
To be able to link PAN and aadhaar, one has to pay ₹1,000. The fee payment needs to be made through e-Pay Tax functionality that is available on e-filing portal.
If the date of issue of your PAN is on or after July 1, 2017, you can directly submit linking request without fee payment.
Steps for payment through e-Pay Tax:
1. First you need to provide your PAN, confirm the same as well as phone number to receive OTP (one time password). Else, you can navigate to post login e-File > e-Pay Tax> Select New Payment
2. Once OTP verification is done, you will be redirected to a page showing different payment tiles
3. Later you can click ‘Proceed’ on the Income Tax tile
4. Now you need to select assessment year as 2024-25 and type of payment as other receipts (500) and continue
5. Preview the amount as ‘ ₹1,000’ under ‘Others’ field in tax break-up and proceed with further steps
Payment verification method
1. Taxpayer will receive challan receipt on successful payment. User can also check bank account statement to ensure if amount was deducted or not.
2. Taxpayer can view and download the challan by navigating to e-File > e-Pay Tax> Payment History or check the challan status through “Know Payment Status” under Quick Links on e-Filing Home page.
However, there are some categories that are exempted from aadhaar-pan linking. These include the following:
2. not a citizen of India
3. Age greater than 80 years as on date
4. states of residence is Assam, Meghalaya or Jammu & Kashmir