Evaluating a mutual fund scheme’s performance calls for assessing its past returns in the short, medium and long term. There is no denying the fact that there are several factors that need to be evaluated to judge a scheme’s performance holistically such as overall market scenario, performance of benchmark index, reputation of fund house and that of fund managers, among others.
However, the returns given by the mutual fund scheme in the recent past is seen as one of the key parameters that investors assess before going ahead with their investment decision.
Here we shed light on the Quant Tax Plan Growth which has offered exceptionally high returns in relative terms when compared with its peers in the category of tax saver funds.
Quant Tax Plan Growth has given a return of 20 percent in the past five years, 36 percent in the past three years and 14.97 since inception.
In other words, if someone had invested ₹10,000 at the time of inception, it would have grown to ₹2,23,995 by now. And if the investor had chosen the SIP route, and if he invested ₹3,000 a month consistently over the scheme’s tenure, it would have swelled to ₹61.8 lakh by now.
The fund was launched on April 13, 2000. The minimum investment in the scheme is ₹500 and in multiple of Re 1.
The top stock holdings are State Bank of India, ITC, ICICI Bank, Patanjali Foods, Adani Ports, L&T, Adani Enterprises, UPL, Indian Hotels Ltd and Vedanta.
It's a large fund with a fund size of ₹1,584 crore and its benchmark index is Nifty 500 TRI.
The total of top 10 holdings comprises 54.51 percent of overall portfolio.
The equity and equity related units comprise 99.56 percent of portfolio while cash and other receivable comprise the remaining 0.44 percent.
The other tax saving funds include HDFC Tax saver fund which gave a return of 8.4 percent in the past five years, Sundaram Tax Saving Funds with 10.74 percent in past five years, Nippon India Tax Saver (ELSS) Fund - Reg - Growth with 4.92 percent return, Tata India Tax Savings Fund - Reg - Growth with 11.42 percent return and Sundaram Diversified Equity - Reg - Growth with 8.30 percent return, according to SMC Mutual Fund Weekly Update on August 8.
(Note: This story is for informational purposes only. Please speak to a SEBI-registered investment advisor before making any investment related decision.)