Star Health and Allied Insurance Company, India's pioneering standalone health insurance provider, has introduced a noteworthy enhancement to its widely acclaimed women-centric policy, the Star Women Care Insurance Policy. In a bid to cater to the increasing demand for Assisted Reproduction Treatment, the company has unveiled a Surrogacy Cover and Oocyte Donor Cover. These newly added provisions serve as a vital safeguard, extending health insurance protection to surrogate mothers and oocyte donors, thereby offering assurance and peace of mind to expecting couples. Notably, Star Health has thoughtfully incorporated these covers without any extra charges for its policyholders.
Under the Surrogacy Cover, the policy provides inpatient hospitalization coverage for post-partum delivery complications experienced by the surrogate mother, extending for a 36-month period. Furthermore, Star Health Insurance has introduced Oocyte Donor coverage, which offers reimbursement for inpatient hospitalization expenses related to complications arising from Assisted Reproductive Treatment, with a coverage period of 12 months.
The Surrogacy Cover begins from the date when the treatment or procedure is initiated. In the unfortunate event of a “Miscarriage due to Accident”, Star Health will provide a lump sum payment to the surrogate mother as stipulated by the policy's terms and conditions.
Commenting on the addition to the policy, Anand Roy, MD and CEO, Star Health and Allied Insurance Company said, “We are happy to announce the inclusion of Surrogacy Cover and Oocyte Donor cover in our Star Women Care Insurance Policy, reaffirming our commitment to women's health and well-being. This addition reflects our dedication to continually enhancing our policies to meet the evolving healthcare needs of our customers. The policy is meticulously crafted to cater to women's unique needs at every stage of their lives, offering them reassurance and easing concerns about escalating medical expenses.”
To qualify for coverage under this policy, specific terms and conditions must be adhered to. This includes compliance with the guidelines outlined in both the Surrogacy Act and ART Act by the intending couple, surrogate mother, and treating hospital. Additionally, Surrogacy and Oocyte donation procedures should be conducted exclusively at recognized centres that are duly registered with the National ART and Surrogacy Registry.
“With this enhancement and our ongoing commitment to innovation, we empower women to take control of their health insurance needs, resting assured that they have access to the best possible medical care,” added Roy.
Customers are not required to undergo any premedical tests in order to be eligible for the Star Women Care Insurance Policy. This policy offers a comprehensive range of special features, including no pre-acceptance medical screening, the option to make mid-term additions, the ability to purchase the policy during pregnancy, coverage for pregnancy-related care and treatment, In-Utero fetal surgery, hospitalization expenses for newborn babies, vaccinations, pediatrician/medical consultations, preventive health check-ups, and much more.
Moreover, this policy allows mothers to extend health coverage to their newborn child or children. Under this policy, a newborn receives health coverage equivalent to 25% of the Sum Insured from the very first day, and it increases to 100% of the Sum Insured from the subsequent year onward. Notably, the policy's Star Mother Cover feature also covers the hospital room rent for the insured mother if the insured child is less than 12 years old and requires hospitalization in the ICU.
Prominent highlights of the Star Women Care Insurance Policy include:
- Surrogate Mother Cover: Coverage for individuals aged 25 to 35 (One of the intending couples must be the proposer).
- Oocyte Donor Cover: Coverage for individuals aged 25 to 35 (One of the intending couples must be the proposer).
- Coverage extends to a maximum of ₹1 crore
- Type of policy - Individual Sum Insured only for females aged between18 years to 75 years
- Floater Sum Insured – Adult 18 years to 75 years with at least one female in the family along with the spouse and dependent children.
- Coverage: In-patient hospitalization, childbirth, day care treatment, road ambulance, air ambulance, organ donor expenses, and pre-and post-hospitalization expenses.
- Added Benefits: These encompass AYUSH Treatment, rehabilitation and pain management, ante-natal care (pregnancy care), in-utero fetal surgery/repair, bariatric surgery, optional cover (lump sum upon cancer diagnosis), coverage for cutting-edge treatments, and medical and telehealth consultations.
- Provides coverage for outpatient medical expenses from the very first day.
- The basic sum insured is automatically restored once by 100% after partial or full utilization of the sum insured.
The policy benefits comprise:
- Health check-up benefit for each policy year.
- Hospitalization expenses for the treatment of a newborn baby.
- A cumulative bonus of 20% of the expiring sum insured for each claim-free year, up to a maximum of 100% of the basic sum insured.
- Star Mother Cover, which covers the insured mother's room rent (allowing her to stay with her child in the same hospital) if the insured child is less than 12 years old and hospitalized in the ICU.
- Assisted Reproduction Treatment cover, encompassing sub-fertility treatments like IVF, up to specified limits.
- Rehabilitation and Pain Management Expenses, covering up to the sub-limit or 10% of the sum insured.
- Delivery expenses, including C-section, for up to two deliveries in a lifetime, up to the specified limits.
- Hospitalization expenses for the newborn baby, including medical and surgical treatment, vaccination for up to 12 months, metabolic screening, and paediatrician consultations (up to four consultations).
- Star Wellness Program, which incentivizes and rewards the insured through various wellness activities. The insured individual can earn wellness reward points to receive premium discounts.
The Star Women Care Insurance Policy is offered in two variants: As an individual policy and as a floater policy, accessible to females ranging in age from 18 to 75 years.