Q. I am a 42-year-old government officer working with the public works department. I have been using a credit card for more than 10 years now. I recently got to know that the government has now introduced the linking of UPI with credit cards. I am not particularly a tech-savvy person and wish to understand UPI linkage with credit cards in more detail. Can you please elaborate on this in detail, its core features, what use it has for middle-class individuals like me and how can I benefit from linking my credit card to UPI.
Tanya Mirchandani, Jammu, Jammu & Kashmir
Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is a popular and convenient way of making digital payments in India. It allows users to send and receive money using a virtual payment address (VPA) or a mobile number, without having to share their bank account details. UPI also supports payments through QR codes, which can be scanned by any UPI app.
Government recently allowed linking of credit cards to UPI. You can now use your credit card as a payment method on UPI apps, just like you use/link your bank account to UPI apps. This feature was introduced by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) in June 2022, with the aim of expanding the scope and reach of UPI and making it more inclusive and interoperable.
How to link your credit card to UPI?
To link your credit card to UPI, you need to have a UPI app on your smartphone, such as Google Pay, PhonePe, Paytm, iMobile Pay, etc. You also need to have a credit card that is issued by a bank that supports this feature. Currently, only RuPay credit cards can be linked to UPI, but other networks like Visa and Mastercard may join soon.
The process of linking your credit card to UPI is similar to adding a debit card or a bank account. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the UPI app of your choice and go to the payment methods section or select your profile photo.
- Select ‘Add credit/debit cards’ or ‘Add debit/credit card’ from the menu.
- Input the card number, CVV, and the name of the cardholder.
- Enter other details such as billing address if required.
- Click ‘Save’.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter it to verify your card.
- You will also have to set a UPI PIN for your credit card, which will be used for authentication every time you make a payment using it.
- You will receive a confirmation message once your credit card is successfully linked to UPI.
- You can view and manage your linked credit cards under the ‘Cards’ section of the app .
Why should one link a credit card to UPI?
Linking your credit card to UPI enables you to use it as a payment method on any UPI app or merchant QR code. You can also use it to pay bills, recharge mobiles, buy tickets, shop online, etc. using UPI.
Some of the features of linking your credit card to UPI are:
- You can choose which credit card you want to use for each transaction from the list of linked cards on the app.
- You can check your credit card balance and available limit on the app before making a payment.
- You can view your transaction history and details on the app for each linked credit card.
- You can unlink or delete any credit card from the app at any time if you wish to do so .
What are the benefits of linking your credit card to UPI?
Linking your credit card to UPI offers several benefits for both users and merchants. Some of them are:
Wider Accessibility: UPI is more widely accepted than credit cards in India, especially among small and medium businesses. By linking your credit card to UPI, you can use it at more places and enjoy the convenience and security of digital payments.
One-time Linking: You only have to link your credit card once to any UPI app and then use it across multiple apps and platforms without having to enter your details again. This saves time and hassle for both users and merchants.
Contactless: In today’s times, contactless payments are more preferred than ever before. Paying with a credit card still requires you to touch a machine and enter a PIN. However, when you link your card to UPI, you can pay without any contact whatsoever. You simply have to scan a QR code or enter a VPA, enter your UPI PIN, and you are done.
Rewards: Most credit cards offer rewards or cashbacks for every purchase you make using them. By linking your credit card to UPI, you can increase your usage and earn more rewards. You can also avail of various offers and discounts that are available on UPI apps and merchants.
Flexibility: Credit cards offer you the flexibility of paying later for your purchases. You can enjoy the interest-free credit period and repay your dues as per your convenience. You can also convert your transactions into EMIs if you wish to do so .
Is it safe to link credit cards to UPI?
Linking your credit card to UPI is a legal and regulated activity that is governed by the NPCI, which is the umbrella organisation for all retail payment systems in India. NPCI has issued guidelines and circulars for the implementation and operation of this feature, which are binding on all the participants, including banks, card networks, UPI apps, and merchants.
Some of the key aspects of the legal backing behind linking your credit card to UPI are:
- The maximum limit for a single transaction using a credit card on UPI is Rs. 2,000, as per the NPCI circular dated June 22, 2022.
- The transaction charges for using a credit card on UPI will be decided by the issuing bank and the acquiring bank, as per their mutual agreement. The charges will be displayed to the user before initiating the payment.
- The dispute resolution mechanism for any issues or complaints related to using a credit card on UPI will be as per the existing framework of UPI and credit cards. The user can contact the issuing bank, the acquiring bank, or the UPI app for redressal.
- The security and privacy of the user’s credit card details and transactions will be ensured by the UPI app and the issuing bank, as per the applicable laws and regulations.
Linking your credit card to UPI is a new and innovative way of making digital payments in India. It offers you more convenience, accessibility, rewards, and flexibility than using a credit card alone. It also helps you to make better use of your credit line and manage your finances more efficiently. If you have a RuPay credit card, you can link it to any UPI app of your choice and start using it for payments.
Kuvera is a free direct mutual fund investing platform.
Note: This is for informational purposes. Please speak to a financial advisor for detailed solutions to your questions.